As spring blossoms this year, you’ll need to check out the window display on Pollinators at the New Gloucester Library – Sponsored by the New Gloucester Environmental Resource Committee.
* What is pollination?
* Why is pollination important?
* What makes a good pollinator?
* How you can help pollinators do their job!
While you’re checking out the display, enter to WIN one of 14 items to be given away at the end of May. Just fill out the entry form and drop it in the box in front of the display. If your name is drawn, we’ll contact you!
Also while you’re there, pick up a handout, or two, to help you plant pollinator-friendly flowers and bushes, directions to make a Mason Bee house, and bookmarks to remind you how important pollinators are to our environment.
If you want to learn more about Maine pollinators, check out these online references:
* Maine State Beekeepers Association – mainebeekeepers.org/
* Understanding Native Bees, the Great Pollinators –umaine.edu/publications/7153e/
* Butterflies of Maine – www.thebutterflysite.com/maine-butterflies.shtml
* Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve – whc.unesco.org/en/list/1290
* Beauty of Birds – beautyofbirds.com/hummingbirdsmaine.html
* Basic Facts About Hummingbirds – www.defenders.org/hummingbirds/basic-facts
* Pollinator Conservation – www.xerces.org/pollinator-conservation
If you’d like to join the Environmental Resources Committee, please inquire at the New Gloucester Town Hall…we’re always looking for new members to get involved in New Gloucester’s environment.