| by Doug Smith |
Halloween in New Gloucester Lower Village is a tradition that has grown over the decades, bringing hundreds of children, their parents and townspeople together in an impromptu celebration that occurs more or less spontaneously each year.
This Halloween, expect even more. In a combined effort, New Gloucester Recreation, Public Safety, Public Works, and neighborhood residents are joining in an expansion of the tradition to create a Halloween Zone designed to both improve safety and enhance the experience for kids.
Here is an outline of the plan:
- There will be a designated Halloween Zone with signage on all four roads of the Lower Village intersection (“Caution Trick or Treaters Ahead”).
- Parking will be available at the Congregational Church and the Town Hall complex.
Visibility, Safety and Treats:
- A crossing guard will be located at the intersection of Intervale, Cobb’s Bridge, and Gloucester Hill Roads, and volunteers in high-visibility vests will help families stay safe on the sides of the roads with the help of marked crossing locations
- Visibility and safety giveaways will be available at several locations. These will include reflective Halloween bags with safety tips from the Parks and Recreation department. Fire and Rescue will be giving out glow sticks, necklaces and glasses to increase visibility
- The Library will be giving away treats.
Schedule and Details:
- Rough time frame of 4:30 to 7:30 pm; concluded at 8 pm
- Restrooms at the Congregational Church, 19 Gloucester Hill Road
- Parking at the Congregational Church and the Town Hall complex