| Joanne Cole |
In a post dated May 30 in the “News” section of its Intervale Fields website, GNG LIttle League has announced that it is “pausing” its planning and development of the Intervale ball field site in order to explore alternative locations.
The announcement says that reducing the scale of its proposed complex in the Intervale, an alternative urged by some residents, would not meet GNGLL’s primary goals of a complex with three fields and a concessions, restroom, and storage building and its secondary goals of lighted fields and scoreboards.
The GNGLL announcement makes clear that the cost of developing in any alternative location is an important consideration, and the group invites public input on funding sources and suggestions.
The full text of the GNGLL update follows:
May 30, 2001
As it is the peak of the GNG Little League season, we are limited in what progress we can make with regards to the Intervale Fields project. However, our committee has met twice and we have the following update to relay.
In the interest of finding the best solution for Little League and the town of New Gloucester, we have begun a due diligence process to review properties we own and properties we might be able to acquire to assess the cost differences and impacts of moving our plans to a different location.
- Bennett Road Land
- Changes have taken place there since we first assessed the location five years ago.
- We are working with contractors to get updated estimates of the cost of preparing the land for three ball fields.
- Penney Road Fields
- We are investigating an updated cost to restart the formerly proposed Penney Road Fields project.
- Other Properties
- Members of our committee have met and are continuing discussions with other landowners to discuss property swaps and other acquisitions to find alternative sites.
- In the interest of giving time for proper due diligence, the GNGLL Intervale Fields Committee is pausing activity related to the current location (planning, architectural, and engineering) for a minimum of 60 days.
Our goal is to find whether there are any possibilities for alternative development locations and what cost differences would be required.
Our primary goal has been a facility with three fields and a snack shack/restroom/storage building. Our secondary goal would be the ability to have lighted fields with score boards. Since reducing our plans at Intervale would not meet these goals, we are pausing our development there while we see if any fields can meet our goals without an exceptional cost difference.
Once this research is complete, we will reassess our options and determine whether a subset of our goals at Intervale is the best path forward or pursuing development of fields at a different location would be more amenable to our goals and to the town’s needs.
We would be happy to hear ideas for grant opportunities, funding sources, or other avenues from the public that may help make alternative sites more feasible. If you have any suggestions or comments, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to participate in the dialog.