|Joanne McKee, Environmental Resources Committee|
Places to recycle items instead of putting them in the hopper or taking them to the transfer station:
• New Gloucester Library: Books,CDs, Games, shopping bags. 926-4840
• ruths.org 207-699-5565. Companies and offices, donate good that teachers and the public can use. Also accept donations from the public. (paper, markers, you name it)
• habitat7rivers.org Habitat for Humanity ReStore located in Topsham Can donate furniture, building supplies, other items. Will pick up and also give a receipt. Public can also buy items.
• PortlandMaineToollibrary.org For an annual fee of $50 or donation of your time, you can sign out 8 items / week. Tools, kitchen items, auto repair items, etc. Inventory on line. Can also donate items.
• portlandgearhub.org Can donate all types of sports gear including bikes. Bike maintenance taught. Items can also be purchased.
• thermostat-recycle.org/statelaws/maine Bring in your old mercury thermostats for safe disposal and you will receive a $5.00 store rebate incentive form at other participating locations.
Greater Androscoggin Humane Society gahumane.org Donate animal supplies you no longer need plus old towels.
• paintcare.org recycle paint no longer needed. Site lists drop off sites and what can be recycled. Program is paid for by fee paid by customer on each purchase of paints.
• freecycle.org Available in several areas. Post items that you wish to donate or put items you may want on a wish list. See site for more information.
Other items to donate: eyeglasses, hearing aides cell phones and their equipment
• epa.gov/ecycling Contains links for various equipment that can be recycled in your area. Also has information on how much has been recycled for some products.
NG Environmental Resource Comm. 12/2019