The Economic Development Committee (EDC) met on January 14. The agenda included review of and reports from the three public forums hosted by the EDC during 2018. Those forums were: Regional Context for Growth in the Greater Portland Area, the Creative Economy, and the Agricultural Economy. All three forums sparked lively conversations about how our town can support economic development.
Please note that the forum on the Agricultural Economy will be continued on March 3 at 4 p.m. The speakers will be Stephanie Gilbert, Farmland Viability and Protection Specialist of the Maine Department of Agriculture, and Nina Young from Maine Farmland Trust. Also note that the forums are available for viewing on the EDC page of the Town’s website.
The EDC will be sharing information from all three forums with the Comprehensive Planning Committee on February 28th at 6:30.
Guests are welcome to attend EDC monthly meetings, and also to consider joining the committee, which currently has two vacancies. The mission of EDC is as follows:
The New Gloucester Economic Development Committee will work to galvanize local businesses and to create centers for commercial activity. Our efforts will focus on enhancing existing business conditions and attracting new and complimentary businesses to the area to maintain the character of rural New Gloucester.
- To develop municipal initiatives that support existing and future businesses.
- To maintain and leverage the community’s inherent character.
- To promote Pineland and the development of additional modern, livable business districts.
- To strengthen existing business relationships.
- To attract new business that is compatible with the community, meets the needs of residents, and captures lost community revenues.